May 29, 2014

MOVIE NIGHT

It's been awhile since I last wrote. Nothing has happened, all that I can really say is that I'm generally happy. And when I'm happy, I tend to leave everything else for awhile and just live in the moment and enjoy.

I still enjoy watching movies, I think that is something that I'm never gonna get bored of. I've been also watching much more anime that I used to, and my boyfriend has introduced to me some of great anime shows and movies. I don't really have friends who love anime, I don't think that any of them even like animation films, so it's nice to have someone who enjoys them even more than I do.

I've watched 93 movies in 2014 so far, so I'm pretty sure I have some good finds to show you guys.

First, I'm gonna talk about Satoshi Kon. He died at age 46, and during his lifetime he made some really good stuff. Me and my bf watched pretty much everything that he made and I really liked his style. I know that anime isn't for everyone, but I'm still going to give it a shot and let you guys decide if you feel like watching these or not.
Probably everyone who's even mildly interested in anime knows the movie Paprika (パプリカ Papurika). Some people said that Inception stole the idea from Paprika.
Paprika isn't my favourite from Satoshi, so I'm not going to include it in here, but if you're interested in him, you're probably gonna enjoy it. But here we go;


Perfect Blue (パーフェクトブルー Pāfekuto Burū)

This film is pretty brilliant, and it's very similar to Black Swan. Darren Aronofsky actually bought the rights of this film cause he wanted to use some scenes in his other movies, and I'm pretty sure Darren got some inspiration for Black Swan from this.
Perfect Blue is a story about Mima, former pop singer turned into actress. Her sense of reality is shaken when she is stalked by an obsessed fan. The movie gets a bit confusing and at times you don't know what is real and what isn't, but I think that this is a film that even people who aren't anime fans can really enjoy watching.


Tokyo Godfathers (東京ゴッドファーザーズ Tōkyō Goddofāzāzu)

Tokyo Godfathers was actually the first film I saw from Satoshi Kon and it is my personal favourite.
This movie doesn't have that many supernatural scenes, and everything pretty much makes sense in some way, so it is really easy to watch, unlike all the other stuff from him.
It tells a story about three homeless people in Tokyo who find a newborn baby among the trash, and how they try to find her parents. This is just really heartwarming and special movie.


Nymphomaniac

I actually saw this movie already awhile ago, so my memory isn't super clear, but I still wanted to include it in this list, cause it is something to really watch.
I remember how everyone talked about this movie when Lars Von Trier announced that it is going to happen. Everyone was talking about how Lars wanted to show actual sex on screen and how Shia LaBeouf sent Lars a real sex tape of him and her girlfriend having sex, cause Lars wasn't convinced Shia had what it got for the role.
The movie's about a woman named Joe, who tells her story about her sexual experiences as a nymphomaniac to a man who saved her after beating. She tells the story right from the beginning when she was a little girl, finishing the story to the same night the man found her all beaten up.
It's hard to explain the story more closely cause it is nothing I've ever seen before really. The whole movie lasts for 4 hours and it is divided to 2 movies. It's really a long story, but if you are motivated and interested, I bet you won't think that you wasted your time, whether you end up liking it or not.


The Graduate

I can't believe that I only watched this film recently. It's from 1967 and it's a classic. I'm a fan of 60's and 70's movies but I don't usually watch movies because ''it's a classic, you should see it''. 
But I ended up loving The Graduate. It's such a heartwarming, silly and happy movie (and a bit sad). It tells a story about Benjamin Braddock, recent college graduate, who gets trapped into an affair with Mrs. Robinson, who happens to be a wife of his father's business partner, and then finds himself falling for her daughter, Elaine. The soundtrack of this movie is Perfect also (Simon & Garfunkel) 


Movies I also enjoyed: Her, Stoker, 12 Years A Slave, Django Unchained, Wall-e, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Dancer In The Dark

Movies I didn't enjoy: Buffalo '66, American Hustle, Drinking Buddies

7 comments:

  1. Kiitos! Täytyypä katsoa noi. :) Her, 12 Years A Slave ja uus Spider-Man oli mustakin tosi hyviä kaikki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/6/14 13:35

    Mikä tossa american hustelissa sit oli ettet pitäny? En oo ite nähny, enkä tiedä kannattaako se sit kattoa. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aihe itsessään oli jo sellainen, minkälaisia leffoja en yleensä katso, joten en tiedä mitä edes oletin. Toteutus ei ollut mitenkään erityisen hyvä, tuntu että juoni junnas paikallaan, hahmoihin ei syventynyt. Vaikutti lähinnä siltä, että on vaan väkisin väännetty aiheesta elokuva rahankiilto silmissä. Ainoa hyvä asia oli Jennifer Lawrence

      Delete
  3. Mitä hyviä animeja (sarjoja lähinnä) oot lähiaikoina kattonu? Mulla on jotenki tosi vaikeeta löytää hyviä, kun tuntuu että oon kattonu jo kaikki hyvät (esim Death Note, Neon Genesis Evangelion jne). Onks sulla jotain hyviä sarjavinkkejä? Jotain joka menee vähän enemmän sinne shounenin puolelle ku shoujo on vähän tylsää.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paranoia Agent on mun lemppari. Oon myös vähän seurannut Darker Than Blackia

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4/6/14 08:49

    i've already seen a few of the films you listed and like them myself. the titles i haven't watched yet sound interesting..imo you have a good taste in films.

    you'll probably like grand budapest hotel, if you haven't seen it yet, i suggest you to watch it.. it's really funny and cute and moving. :)

    love
    k.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love watching anime from Satoshi. I like Paprika, as well as Perfect Blue because of their story telling and depth. I've never watched the second one, but the name itself is compelling, so I'm definitely putting it up on my list. The Graduate is just an amazing classic. Thank you so much for sharing those films! Wishing you all the best!

    Simon Walker @ The Viewlorium

    ReplyDelete

I use Canon EOS 1100D
I was born in 1993
I'm from Helsinki, Finland